Secretary of the Department : Dr. rer. nat. Nanang Fakhrudin, M.Si., Apt.
Administrative Staff : Sri Wisni
The Department of Pharmaceutical Biology is an executive academic element of the faculty of pharmacy which performs education and teaching, research, and community service in a branch of science that deals with biodiversity, Ethnomedicine, Phytochemistry, Pharmacognosy, Phytotherapy (screening, developing, testing, standardization, producing and harnessing medicine derived from natural resources), Phytotherapy (the use of medicinal plants and the derived products to cure and prevent diseases), analyzing natural resources, pharmaceutical biotechnology (producing bioactive substance through plant tissue culture and microorganism) and modifying metabolite tracks, microbiology, and cell biology. This department manages two laboratories which are Laboratory of Pharmacognosy-Phytochemistry and Laboratory of Microbiology and Cell Biology.
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy-Phytochemistry
Head of the Laboratory : Dr. Yosi Bayu Murti, M.Si., Apt.
This laboratory performs education, research and community service in the fields of :
- exploration of natural ingredients for future medicinal ingredients based on local wisdom and empirical use of natural materials,
- developing methods of analyzing natural ingredients and natural medicinal products to ensure their safety and efficacy in medicine,
- the development of traditional medicinal products and natural medicines into standardized products and guaranteed safety and efficacy so that they can be used in the formal treatment system.
– Prof. Dr. phil. nat. Sudarsono, S.U., Apt.
– Prof. Dr. Subagus Wahyuono, M.Sc., Apt.
– Prof. Dr. Suwijiyo Pramono, DEA., Apt.
– Dr. rer.nat. Yosi Bayu Murti, M.Si., Apt.
– Dr. rer.nat. Triana Hertiani, M.Si., Apt.
– Dr. Andayana Puspitasari, M.Si., Apt.
– Dr. Erna Prawita Setyowati, M.Si., Apt.
– Dr.rer.nat. Nanang Fakhrudin, M.Si., Apt;
– Sarti Yuridasari
Laboratory of Microbiology and Cell Biology
Head of the Department : Dr. Djoko Santosa, M.Si.
This laboratory performs education, research and community service in the fields of:
- Look for and find active ingredients that have anti-microbial / anti-infective properties both from tall plants and from soil microbes and endophytic microbes.
- Studying microbial diversity and physiological interactions, compounds involved in their interactions, and interaction mechanisms at the biochemical level.
- Developing transformant microorganisms to carry out bioconversion to obtain more potential active substances, as well as conducting safety checks of pharmaceutical products and food / beverages in the form of testing the potential and content of pharmaceutical preparations microorganisms.
- Conduct a series of tests related to the contamination of microorganisms in medicinal products, cosmetics, food and beverages, for example Yeast Fungus Numbers and Total Plate Figures, both in relation to affiliated laboratories with UGM LPPT as well as testing the results of collaboration with other agencies / industries. In testing the ALT, AKK, and MPN values, the laboratory has been ISO 17025 certified since 2013
- Develop methods for rapid detection of diseases caused by microorganism infections
- Producing medicinal compounds, enzymes and vaccines produced by microorganisms or plant tissue
- Develop effective methods for multiplication of medicinal plants, either through callus culture or shoot culture and how to increase the desired metabolites, for example by elicitation and precursors.
- Develop a cell culture system to understand the biosynthesis of certain compounds and the production of target metabolites
- Develop a transgenic host system for the production of drug metabolites, both culturally suspending cells and in intact plants
– Prof. Dr. Wahyono, SU., Apt.
– Dr. Sylvia Pratiwi TP., M.Si.
– Dr. Indah Purwantini, M.Si., Apt.
– Dr. Puji Astuti, M.Sc., Apt.
– Dr. Purwanto, M.Sc., Apt.
– Dr. Djoko Santoso, M.Si.
– Bibit Sutarto
– Titik Tri Handayani, A.Md.
– Widyati Prihatiningtyas, M.Si.