Embracing Traditional Medicine: Adopt and Adapt Toward Society 5.0
Online Summer Course| July 5-16, 2021
Eligibility : Students of pharmacy or other health-related backgrounds
Both Indonesian and international students are eligible to apply
Duration : 10 days
Daily study : 3 hours of synchronous learning, 6 hours of asynchronous learning
Benefits : Transferable 2 course credits (SKS) for successful participation in the full program
(Eligibility of credit transfer may differ at different universities. Please check with your institution)
The course is FREE OF CHARGE
Seats are available for 300 students only. Register soon!
Registration: May 21-June 14, 2021
Prospective participants can register by filling out the registration form and uploading the following required documents:
- Scan of Student ID
- Passport-size photograph
- Endorsement letter from your institution (signed by Dean, Vice Dean, or the Head of Study Program) stating whether the Summer Course-earned credits can be transferred
- Template for the letter can be downloaded here
- 1-page resume
Applications will be assessed by the organizing committee and the committee reserves the right to carry out a selection process based on the submitted registration forms in the case the number of registrants is larger than the course capacity. Notification of selection results will be sent via email by June 28, 2021.
The online summer course (OSC) will be held for 2 weeks (July 5-16, 2021) with learning activities equivalent to 2 credits or 3.6 ECTS. The following topics will be covered by experts in the field during the OSC:
- Traditional medicine practices in various parts of the world
- Exploring biodiversity of Indonesia for advancing herbal medicines
- Precision farming
- Jamu as modern and evidence-based medicines
- Roles of herbal medicine in tackling current health problems
- Technologies in modern herbal medicines
- Jamu authentication and metabolite profiling
- Introduction to Jamu preparations and practice
- Concept of Jamu industrialization
- Virtual excursions to traditional medicine and cosmetic makers
- Regulations on herbal medicines
The first week of OSC will focus on tutorial activities on traditional medicine from the perspective of traditional use, cultivation of traditional medicinal plants and efforts made for scientification of traditional medicines. In the first week, asynchronous assignments will be given for individuals but will be presented in groups of participants to build engagement in the group.
The second week of OSC will focus on tutorial activities on technology, the industrialization of traditional medicines, and regulations on traditional medicines from Indonesia and partner institutions’ countries of origin. Asynchronous assignments will be given in the form of a final group project, assessed at the end of the OSC.
By the end of the course, the participants are expected to be able to:
- explain the development of traditional medicine as an evidence-based medicine
- analyze the content of natural ingredients in traditional medicine in various countries
- compare the differences in the use of traditional medicines from various countries
- design the development of traditional medicines that are compatible with the digital community
This OSC is organized by the Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Gadjah Mada, in collaboration with Universitas Udayana, Taipei Medical University, and Chiang Mai University.
PAST SUMMER COURSES